Monday, January 05, 2009

Till It Happens To You

It is easy to evaluate, ridicule and criticize a situation when you're on the outside looking in. No matter how much you have invested in the issue, the outcome ultimately does not affect you. You always hear that quarterback is the most difficult position to play in all of sports, well, if that is the case, Monday morning quarterback must be the easiest. But all that goes out the window when it's happening to you, right out the window onto the front lawn along with logic, common sense and discretion. No one likes it when the joke's on them but it cuts just a little deeper when you've watched countless others (or maybe yourself even) make the same mistakes before you and you've even chastised that person for those past follies then grab the table salt and pour that shit in. I don't embarrass easy but I get red in the face (I don't mean that literally, obviously) when I make the same gaffe more than once. I find myself traveling a very familiar road as of late, getting caught up in the excitement of the trip and missing all of the warning signs along the way. Thankfully, I've been blessed with serenity, courage and wisdom. The serenity to accept the things in my life that I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Sometimes you have to stop and think about where it is you are headed and whether or not there is a better path to that destination than the one that you are on. Luckily, I didn't have to turn back and start my trip all over again, I just had to slow down a bit. Y'know, put it in 3rd and cruise for a while. I will get there eventually, after all.

No comments: