Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I wasn't me...Come again?!? No seriously, I wonder what would become of me if I wasn't educated, informed and opinionated? If I couldn't think for myself and I was just a follow-fashion monkey? If I was shy and couldn't talk to people? If I wasn't able to make people feel comfortable with just my smile and my ability to carry a conversation? Or if I was easily impressed? What if I backed down from a challenge? What would happen if I didn't run through obstacles like condoms? Where would I be now if I wasn't able to make money off each one of my hobbies? If I made the same mistakes twice? If I didn't learn something new each day? If I settled for anything less than I deserved? If I put up with foolishness? If I were a fool myself? What if I needed to drink or smoke in order to enjoy life? If I couldn't learn how to adapt to different situations? If I was afraid to take chances? If I had regrets about my past? What if I actually felt like a 21 year old rather than a 31 year old? If I wasn't so proud to be a black male? What about if I liked kids? Or if I had kids? *shudder* What if I surrounded myself with people who I thought were any less than my equals? If I didn't live alone? What if I was all of the aforementioned? Wait...I can answer that last one. I wouldn't be me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this one!! I often ponder that myself. It's quite interesting how I've turned in to some of my "what-if's" of my yesteryears. I am my: What if I wasn’t shy and could talk to people? If I were able to make people feel comfortable with just my smile and my ability to carry a conversation? If I didn’t back down from any challenges? If I could learn how to adapt to different situations? If I weren’t afraid to take chances? If I had no regrets about my past? What if I actually felt like a 33 year old rather than a 23 year old? I guess now I know.

Anonymous said...

but couldn't all those things just be the old you? like before you were so aware and so confident and so strong? every great man was a scared little boy at some point, right?

and imma ignore that part where you "shuddered" at having kids :)

also hello. this is my first time reading your blog and i really like the way you think.