Thursday, December 04, 2008

Maybe I'm on a spaceship

As I get older, I'm coming to terms with the fact that there are not that many choices in life. That great cliché we were all taught when we were young about there always being a choice? Not entirely true, probably something meant to help us develop a conscience but there will come a day when out of desperation that you will do something you don't necessarily want to but you have to in order to protect your assets, your loved ones or your livelihood, sometimes all three. The lack of choices isn't solely a situation that you will only encounter when you're on the defensive either. Sometimes it is about following orders to protect ya neck or staying away from your kid because of what a malicious ex wants and what a judge dictates. I can keep drawing up scenarios but I don't think that would be necessary, you can all think about a situation you were recently in where you had no choice in your actions or the outcome. Maybe that's just me, maybe I'm on a spaceship

1 comment:

Anita said...

it's not a cliche, you always have a choice. You might not look at it as a choice because you feel like you can't go another way, but still it's a choice. If a judge says "don't go near your child" and you don't it's because you choose to obey the law via a judge. Many people disobey the law and continue to see their child or worse take the child away, basicly kidnapping their own child. The choice was obey or not obey, stay a free man or go to jail.. it's as simple as that. most times when we say "I had no choice" what we really mean is "I choose this way because I didn't like the other possible outcome".
As a child choices seem awesome, who's better superman or baman? what sport should i play soccer or basketball? As we get older the choices get harder and they aren't fun anymore but we make them, even when we don't make them.